Benefits of Therapeutic Massage
(Source: American Massage Therapy Association )
- Helps relieve stress and aids relaxation
- Helps relieve muscle tension and stiffness
- Rehabilitation after injury
- Fosters faster healing of strained muscles and sprained ligaments; reduces pain and swelling; reduces formation of excessive scar tissue
- Reduces muscle spasms
- Provides greater joint flexibility and range of motion
- Enhances athletic performance; Treats injuries caused during sport or work
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Improves circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids
- Reduces blood pressure
- Helps relieve tension-related headaches and effects of eye-strain
- Enhances the health and nourishment of skin
- Improves posture
- Strengthens the immune system
- Treats musculoskeletal problems
- Rehabilitation post operative
- Alleviates discomfort during pregnancy
- Fosters peace of mind
- Reduces levels of anxiety
- Creates body awareness
- Fosters a feeling of well-being
- Promotes a relaxed state of mental alertness
- Helps relieve mental stress
- Improves ability to monitor stress signals and respond appropriately.
- Enhances capacity for calm thinking and creativity
- Emotional benefits.
- Satisfies needs for caring, nurturing touch
- Increases awareness of body-mind connection
Benefits of Yoga
The practice of yoga emphasizes body-spirit-mind involvement. Yoga’s stress reduction helps alleviate other problems, experts say. The ancient practice of yoga is increasingly finding a new following–among doctors and medical researchers who are working to prove its benefits for a variety of illnesses. “There’s been an explosion of data using yoga as a treatment option”, said Dr. Shelley Wroth, an obstetrician at Duke Integrative Medicine and a yoga teacher. She said studies have found that yoga helps people suffering diseases such as hypertension, anxiety, arthritis, chronic back pain, carpal tunner syndrome, fibromyalgia, stress, depression, diabets and epilepsy–among others. Following is only a partial list of yoga’s other benefits:
- reduced stress
- sound sleep
- reduced cortisol levels
- improvement of many medical conditions
- allery and asthma symptom relief
- lower blood pressure
- smoking cessation help
- lower heart rate
- spiritual growth
- sense of well-being
- reduced anxiety and muscle tension
- increased strength and flexibility
- slowed aging process
Benefits of Hydrotherapy
- Get relief for arthritis, aches and stiffness.
- Warm, pulsating water increases blood supply to aching joints, which helps to remove inflammatory particles from the area and relieves pain.
- The buoyancy of the water relaxes muscles, and warm water decreases muscle tension that allows for greater flexibility.
- Breathe and think easier.
- Steam rising off hot water can help open up nasal and bronchial passages and improves circulation to aid in maintaining upper respiratory health.
- Many people find that soaking in warm water relieves headache pain, expecially pain from tension headaches.
- A recent study shows that 70 percent of employed Americans suffer stress-related conditions including anxiety and insomnia.
- Reduce stress and relax: swirling warm water helps your brain to relax while washing away anxiety.
- Sleep Better (National Sleep Foundation)
Rehabilitation & Therapy
- Many professional sports organizations, trainers and therapists recommend warm-water therapy to help patients resume their daily activities faster.
- Improve Cardio Health: A recent study at the Mayo Clinic found that soaking in a hot bath gives many of the health benefits of exercise with less strain on the heart. Soaking in a hot bath increases the heart rate while it lowers blood pressure rather than raising it as does other forms of exercise.
- Relieve Back and Knee Pain: Four out of five Americans suffer from chronic back pain, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health. Many studies show that hydrotherapy alleviates lower back pain and knee ailments by reducing stress and stiffness.
- The peace of mind and serenity that a warm water soak provides allows you to take control of your personal well-being and lifestyle. More than 50 percent of Americans suffer some sort of ill health effects due to stress.A soothing soak can help counteract stress.